English language: Creative Writing Skills
The tutor coaches the learner in written expression. Grammar is revised for accuracy and for control of the language. Freedom of expression is taught by means of vocabulary building and descriptive techniques which allow the learner to create imaginative pieces of work.
- Critical analysis of writer's styles and storytelling techniques
- Writing exercises to build vocabulary and experiment with adventurous use of the written language
- Grammar revision for confident and accurate use of the language
- Structure and style
- Practice in different genres including story writing, advertising copywriting, journalistic articles
Before the start of the course, the student is sent a reading assignment to be completed before the course and a short reading list.
All students who successfully complete this course are eligible for a Course Certificate. Certificates are sent by email to those who qualify after the course finishes.
This course aims to provide students with strong comprehension skills to enable them to interact fully in professional or academic situations.
Description of required reading and recommended reading.
Daily homework assignments
Tutor feedback to homework
Assessment and feedback
By the end of this course, students are expected to be able to:
- write a piece of descriptive writing
- write the opening chapter of a novel
- write a complete mini-story in 500 to 1000 words
Students are set two pieces of work. The first, set half way through the course, does not count towards the final outcome but preparing for it helps students to prepare for the assessed piece of work at the end of the course.
Each lesson is live and taught by a tutor via Zoom
Each lesson is of 60 minutes duration
Lessons can be taken at any time from Monday to Saturday 09.00 to 18.00 GMT
This course is delivered online, to participate students must be familiar with using a computer for purposes such as sending email and searching the internet. The student will need regular access to the internet and a computer meeting the recommended minimum computer specification.