A Deep Understanding of the Language
This course gives the learner the advanced language skills needed to be able to interact effortlessly with native speakers. The tutor guides the learner through listening, reading and writing exercises which develop accuracy in understanding and use of the language.
Module 1 - Advanced grammar review
- Writing and speaking exercises under timed conditions
- Comprehension tasks with an unfamiliar text
Module 2 - Vocabulary
- Reading tasks to develop a wide vocabulary
- Critical analysis of a literary text and journalistic text
- Mini creative writing workshop to build vocabulary
Module 3 - Structure
- Sentence construction
- Paragraph construction
Module 4 - Punctuation
- Punctuation in writing
- Punctuation to help understanding (expression)
Module 5 - Manipulate the language
- Style and register
- Critical analysis of a text
- Précis an unfamiliar text into a short summary
Pre-course needs analysis
A pre-course Zoom meeting between the tutor and the student for level assessment and needs analysis.
Before the start of the course, the student is sent an assignment to be completed before the course and a short reading list.
All students who successfully complete this course are eligible for a Course Certificate.
Completion consists of submitting the final course assignment. Certificates are sent by email to those who qualify after the course finishes.
This course aims to provide students with a strong understanding of grammar to enable them to perform well in professional or academic situations.
- Description of required reading and recommended reading
- Daily homework assignments
- Tutor feedback to homework
- Assessment and feedback
By the end of this course, the student is expected to be able to:
● Listen to a talk and write a précis of it
● Use punctuation to clarify meaning
● Manipulate the language into different styles and registers
● Lead a critical analysis discussion of a literary text
Students are set two pieces of work. The first is due halfway through the course. This does not count towards the final outcome but preparing for it is practice for the assessed piece of work at the end of the course.
Each lesson is live and taught by a tutor via Zoom
Each lesson is of 60 minutes duration
Lessons can be taken at any time from Monday - Saturday 09.00 to 18.00 GMT
This course is delivered online; to participate students must be familiar with using a
computer for purposes such as sending email and searching the internet. Students will also need regular access to the internet and a computer meeting the recommended minimum computer specification.