English A-Level Revision: Language Paper
Module 1 - Overview
- Overview of the types of writing work to be covered including: data analysis, discursive essays, directed writing, original writing and research-based investigative writing
Module 2 - Critical reading, evaluation and data analysis
- Produce a piece of research-based investigative writing
Module 3 - Discursive essay writing
- The ability to develop and sustain an argument in an essay
Module 4 - Text analysis
- Critical analysis of a literary text or news article
Module 5 - Original writing
- A piece of creative or original writing
Before the start of the course, the student is sent a reading assignment to be completed before the course and a short reading list.
All students who successfully complete this course are eligible for a Course Certificate. Certificates are sent by email to those who qualify after the course finishes.
This course aims to provide students with strong comprehension and writing skills to enable them to interact fully in professional or academic situations.
Description of required reading and recommended reading
Daily homework assignments
Tutor feedback to homework
Assessment and feedback
By the end of this course, the student is expected to be able to:
- listen to a talk and write a precis of it
- read a long text and summarise it into a shorter text
- lead a critical analysis discussion of a literary text or factual text
- write a discursive essay
- create a piece of original writing
Students are set two pieces of work. The first, set half way through the course, does not count towards the final outcome but it helps students to prepare for the assessed piece of work at the end of the course.
Each lesson is live and taught by a tutor via Zoom
Each lesson is of 60 minutes duration
Lessons can be taken at any time from Monday to Saturday 09.00 to 18.00 GMT
This course is delivered online, to participate students must be familiar with using a computer for purposes such as sending email and searching the internet. The student will need regular access to the internet and a computer meeting the recommended minimum computer specification.