Fluidity of Communication
This course gives the learner the advanced communication skills needed to be able to
interact effortlessly with native speakers. The tutor guides the learner through reading, writing and speaking exercises which develop a sensitive understanding of the nuances of written and spoken communication.
Module I - Vocabulary
- Reading tasks to develop a wide vocabulary
- Critical analysis of a literary text and journalistic text
- Mini creative writing workshop to build vocabulary
Module 2 - Précis
- Students listen to a talk or podcast and write a short summary of it
- Students read a literary text and write a short summary of it
Module 3 - Elegant writing
- Structure and planning
- Practice in evocative descriptive writing
- Clarity in writing for letters, reports, emails and reviews
Module 4 - Building rapport
- Sensitivity in how to hold the listener’s or the reader’s attention
- Artful negotiation
- Grasp of finer nuances of meaning
Module 5 - Engage the audience
- Non-verbal communication, body language
- Practice in giving a spontaneous, non-scripted talk
Pre-course needs analysis
A pre-course Zoom meeting between the tutor and the student for level assessment and needs analysis.
Before the start of the course, the student is sent an assignment to be completed before the course and a short reading list.
All students who successfully complete this course are eligible for a Course Certificate.
Completion consists of submitting the final course assignment. Certificates are sent by email to those who qualify after the course finishes.
This course aims to provide students with strong communication skills to enable them to interact fully in professional or academic situations.
- Description of required reading and recommended reading
- Daily homework assignments
- Tutor feedback to homework
- Assessment and feedback
By the end of this course, the student is expected to be able to:
● Listen to a talk and write a précis of it
● Lead a critical analysis discussion of a literary text
● Demonstrate an assertive use of the language in speaking or writing
● Be confident and at ease when speaking the language
● Show a mastery of writing documents which are clear and structured
● Understand the nuances of meaning in a text or speech
Students are set two pieces of work. The first is due halfway through the course. This does not count towards the final outcome but preparing for it is practice for the assessed piece of work at the end of the course.
Each lesson is live and taught by a tutor via Zoom
Each lesson is of 60 minutes duration
Lessons can be taken at any time from Monday - Saturday 09.00 to 18.00 GMT
This course is delivered online; to participate students must be familiar with using a
computer for purposes such as sending email and searching the internet. Students will also need regular access to the internet and a computer meeting the recommended minimum computer specification.